Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I'm Going to Walk, Talk, Sing ...

The Kelly Brothers - I Just Walk On

I continue the Kelly Brothers series today with this unreleased gem from the Sanctified Southern Soul CD. Sims Records, despite the Kelly Brothers hit "Falling in Love Again," was not financially viable and sold its assets in late 1966 or 1967. The Kellys' contract and masters went to Excello, which recorded the group through 1970 and released an album mixing their Sims sides with some new material. The group did not succeed at Excello, and upon their release returned to gospel some time afterward. Today's selection was an unreleased Excello recording. This strong ballad features my favorite ad-libbed fades of all soul songs. I don't know why this song wasn't released (there's a small band mistake at the end, but I don't think that was the smoking gun), but it's a hot one.

Tomorrow I hope to wrap up this series with some King Pins stuff as well as some up-tempo numbers featuring Robert Kelly on lead. Then on Friday, get ready for some TSOBB (that's a clue!)

No comments: