Friday, March 03, 2006

That Ringing Telephone!

Esther Williams - Last Night Changed It All (I Really Had a Ball)

I first heard today's selection on an online radio show that I think is now defunct called The Koolout. It was part of a larger mix of funk and disco that enthralled my fresh-out-of-college ears. Many funk and soul things that I love I heard for the first time on there. The DJ doing the mix had a lot of fun with the breakbeat intro and the ringing telephone (I think he stretched that section out for almost a minute) that kicks off the track. I was hooked from that point forward.

I don't know much about Esther Williams except that she cut a couple of albums that were well-received among the mid-to-late '70s dance club crowd. "Last Night Changed It All" has been a beat digger's favorite because of the aforementioned funky intro. Despite the somewhat corny "telephone" dialogue segments (which, admittedly, are better than many others I've heard on various tunes), the tune cooks from start to finish, with an infectious riff used by the strings and a flute and a driving groove that keeps me moving whenever I hear it.

Look out for the show tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really beautiful song