Monday, September 03, 2007

Keeping It Real With Kip Anderson


Kip Anderson - Woman, How Do You Make Me Love You Like I Do

As I mentioned on Friday, deep soul legend Kip Anderson has passed away. Despite a string of fantastic 45s for Vee-Jay, Everlast, Tomorrow, ABC, Checker and Excello, commercial success eluded Kip. Unfortunately, while Anderson's records became highly-prized among deep soul fans and record collectors, Kip's career faded and a heroin addiction resulted in a ten-year stint in prison. Fortunately, Kip was able to get clean and get back into music, releasing some good gospel and soul-blues material as well as leading several gospel choirs and hosting gospel radio shows. Today's post is in honor of Kip, whose awesome records will continue to enthrall soul fans for all time.

"Woman, How Do You Make Me Love You Like I Do" was penned by Kip's frequent collaborator Charles Derrick and recorded at FAME studios in Muscle Shoals, and it's a very nice gospel-styled ballad over which Kip wonders about his woman's power over him. A very effective monologue by Kip seals the deal. The 45 was the first of three 45s that were released on Checker (the other two being "Without a Woman" and "A Knife and Fork"), and it made enough noise for Solomon Burke to cover it for his King Solomon album.

1 comment:

H. Blu said...

I am Kip's first cousin and I was unable to attend his funeral today.
However, my mother (Kip's aunt), my sisters and a hosts of cousins are attending his life's celebration as I pen this email.

The southern region will truly miss this unrecognized talent. I know his work was exceptional. I just wished he could have gotten the breaks he so richly deserved. He truly will be missed by his family and friends. Now he is with his mother and father. Thanks for posting such wonderful words about him. I will share with the family.

--- Deanie Brewer