Thursday, November 29, 2007

King Pins and Kelly Brothers, Together In One Post!


The King Pins - A Lucky Guy

The King Pins a/k/a The Kelly Brothers have been featured on this blog quite a few times, so I'll refer you to my main write-up of the group and jump right into today's goodies. When I wrote that earlier piece I was unaware of today's selection. "A Lucky Guy" was a one-off single the group did for Vee Jay between their tenures with Federal and Sims. It's a nice, pop-slanted thing with a bit of a Drifters feel to it. Of course, it's light years away from the deep Southern soul stuff they'd be doing for Sims within a year or so, but it's worth a listen. Speaking of the deep Southern soul stuff, here's a clip from YouTube of the Kelly Brothers, doing "Falling In Love Again" live on The Beat!!!! If this isn't soul, I don't know what is!



I recently learned that Gusto Records, owners of the King Records catalog, has put out a comp, Songs From The Good Book, featuring the Kelly Brothers' gospel sides on Federal. I am trying to get my hands on a copy!

No comments: