Wednesday, April 23, 2008

BBQ and L. C., Too!


L. C. Cooke - Put Me Down Easy (alternate take)

Mrs. Stepfather of Soul suggested yesterday evening that we go out to dinner to celebrate my completing my last semester of law school classes, so we decided to head over to Fat Matt's Rib Shack for some barbecue and live music. When we arrived, the band started playing "Put Me Down Easy," which struck me as an interesting choice (the band was a three-piece outfit with a decided rock slant), but a good one all the same! It really set the tone for a celebratory dinner.

I've discussed the song before on this blog, so I'll just say that today's selection is the alternate take from the SAR boxed set that I mentioned in the prior post. The "cha-cha-cha" feel of the SAR 45 is absent here, giving the tune a bit more drive, and Sam Cooke and Roy Crain's background vocals seem to have a bit more of that Soul Stirrers gospel sound to them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Boy, did you guys go back with "Put Me Down Easy!" I'm sure it'd make my Uncle L.C. smile that one of his songs was mentioned today.

Erik Greene
Author, “Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective”
www.OurUncleSam.com