Thursday, May 13, 2010

Soul Brothers Six, Soul Preachin'!


Soul Brothers Six - Don't Neglect Your Baby

Willie John Ellison and his group, the Soul Brothers Six, have graced this blog and the podcast previously, so I'll simply present today's selection, one of the group's first singles. "Don't Neglect Your Baby," a 1966 Lyndell 45, finds Ellison spending over half of the song's length preaching about how men need to get out of the street and take care of their homework over a slow, churchy groove and the groups' moaning background vocals. After explaining how such behavior results in good women going bad, he exhorts, "You'd better wake up before it's too late! Don't be like me! See, I overslept, so I ain't got nobody." After the message is thusly delivered, Ellison launches into song to carry the record home.

4 comments:

Ben The Balladeer said...

Great song Jason. Unknown to me. Thanks Ben

zerode said...

Wow. Thanks for that. A great soul tune. I love getting turned onto this stuff. Do you know if this is available anywhere to download? I looked but couldn't find it...

Holly said...

Thank you for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

This is a great record! Thanks for the introduction.

I don't know whether you have any interest in black gospel or not, but here is my blog address in case you're interested in visiting.

http://catchthattrainandtestify.blogspot.com/

Best wishes,
Marie