Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Little Nashville Soul

Fred Waters - It's a Little Bit Late



Freddie Waters' bluesy tenor and good songs make him one of my favorite among the pitifully obscure figures of the Nashville soul scene. Most of his recordings were made in conjunction with writer/producer Ted Jarrett, and today's selection comes from the Kent CD "Music City Soul," which features material from some of Jarrett's late '60s and early '70s labels. "It's a Little Bit Late" (for which he was billed as "Fred Waters") features a very laid-back groove over which Waters visits the male-revenge territory covered in such songs as "Ain't Nobody Home." Don't be fooled by the easy-going rhythm, though, as Waters slow-burns his way through a very soulful vocal performance. On another day I'll have to post his Curtom recording of "I Love You, I Love You, I Love You," which shows his great vocals in a very bluesy setting.

No comments: