Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday Is (Jazzy, Funky, Eccentric) Blues Day!


Mel Brown - Eighteen Pounds of Unclean Chitlins

Right around the time that I was about to put together Episode #33 of the podcast, the news came along that Eddie Bo had died, followed with news of Ted Jarrett's passing. Right before I recorded the show I learned that guitarist Mel Brown had died, and to honor him I put "W-2 Withholding" in the playlist. I've given an overview of Brown's history previously. Today's selection is one of the more eccentric tunes in Brown's catalogue. "Eighteen Pounds of Unclean Chitlins" is eleven-plus minutes of Brown working it out over a shape-shifting groove that is at times funky (I would imagine the title ties into a phrase like "funkier than ...") but at other times sparse and ominous. It's probably not everyone's taste, but then, neither are chitterlings, so sample this one and hopefully enjoy it.

1 comment:

johnny phenothiazine said...

...ha ha, read your profile, and I have to tell you it's weird to address a guy twenty years younger than me as "Mr. Stepfather," Son.But HEY HEY Mr. Stepfather, wow that was sure one rockin track!