Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mr. Ballard, May I Help You With Something?

Hank Ballard - Butter Your Popcorn



eBay is a great thing for record collectors like me, as I generally don't know many good places to get records (especially here in Atlanta; there were some great places in Chicago to get good vinyl) and am just getting plugged into the record fairs, etc. There are soul records galore there, and the steady stream of packages that come to the mailbox keeps the Stepfather a happy soul man. Every now and then I get pleasantly surprised to get a record for an awesome price. In transit to me now is the 45 of today's selection, in near mint condition, which I was able to get for $3.50! (Now here's hoping that there's no post office mishap like the one from the other week, when my Little Richard gospel 45 got broken by my local mail carrier!)

"Butter Your Popcorn" was one of the records in the James Brown "Popcorn" canon (as discussed in a prior post), and it's a good one. After the female spoken intro, Ballard leaps into the song and rides its lurching groove all the way to the fade. One writer noted that Ballard is so enthusiastic that he's out of tune, which is true, but the soul and pure fun of the tune makes up for Ballard's flawed singing. Come on, children - butter your popcorn!

(EDITOR'S NOTE - The link above now points to an MP3 of the tune.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is this a wma file instead of an mp3? Does not play on iTunes...

The Stepfather of Soul said...

I pulled it from a CD I had here at work and I don't have mp3 encoding software here. Try playing the file with Windows Media Player. If I can remember I'll replace it with an MP3 tonight.

Anonymous said...

Thanks...
I'm Mac-centric, I try to avoid microsoft as much as possible

RC said...

Butter YOur Popcorn, what an awesome name...for an album.

never heard of hank ballard before but my soul knowledge is VERY limited.

But i love that title.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

FC said...

I cant believe how long it took me to realize that the POPCORN referred to by James Brown was a woman's butt! James apparently likes butter on his popcorn too, a point made clear in this song as well as Mother Popcorn, wherein he also refers to the crowd-drawing capabilities of a woman's "question mark". Smokin!