Sunday, April 06, 2008

Basso Profundo Gospel Time!


Jimmy Jones & The Sensationals - I Don't Need

As I mentioned yesterday, since I've been doing thematic posts all week, I'll close out the "Basso Profundo" series with gospel's greatest bass singer, Jimmy Jones. As mentioned in a prior post, Jones went beyond the "boom-de-boom" that most basses employed (Willie Bobo of the Dixie Hummingbirds being the best at that style) to become quite an effective lead singer. After he made his mark in the Harmonizing Four he formed his own group, the Sensationals. Their recording "I Don't Need" features cheerful lyrics, but the minor-key arrangement and Jones' vocal (sounding almost like it's coming from some ethereal source) give the tune an ominous feel. It's a little eerie, but it's effective.

3 comments:

plez... said...

now, that's deep!

P.S. you've been tagged... come to plezWorld to see what you've been signed up to do!

Brian Phillips said...

I agree with you about Willie Bobo, but I prefer his later work, which was more in a Latin vein, which Carlos Santana covered when he recorded "Evil Ways".

I am not entirely sure why, but he seems to have gained an accent when he recorded for Verve.

Tontos de abril, un pedacito tarde.

Brian, your Stepbrother.

P.S. Also, listen to the Harmonizing Four's version of "Wade in the Water" for great bass.

The Stepfather of Soul said...

That's a good one, Stepbrother.