Thursday, April 10, 2008

La La La La ... La La, La La La ...


Jimmy Ruffin - Our Favorite Melody

Some years ago I responded to an online survey that asked respondents to name their favorite Motown songs. I forget what I listed as my top five or top ten, but I do remember my pick for #1, "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" by Jimmy Ruffin. That atmospheric ballad is, of course, the hit for which Jimmy (older brother of David) is remembered, although he had a few other hits in the '60s, '70s and early '80s, including one with David, and made noise in the UK with "Tell Me What You Want" in the '70s. Outside of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted," today's selection is my favorite Jimmy Ruffin record. The long introduction of "Our Favorite Melody" effectively establishes the song's sing-along hook, so when Ruffin comes in to tell the story it all makes sense. (If you don't believe the "sing-along" part, wait until I post an aircheck in a future "Soul on the Air" installment of Mr. V on WGRT, singing along on the air! Besides, you might find that the hook is stuck in your head and you'll sing it yourself!)

No comments: