Monday, January 02, 2006

A Little More Steppin' for 2006

The Soulful Strings - The Stepper

The new episode of the podcast will hopefully follow tonight (my sinuses are bothering me so I'm not quite up to recording the show just yet), so here's a post to hold you for now :)

"The Stepper" is my favorite recording by the Soulful Strings, who I've discussed in a prior post. This tune has a "Killer Joe" feel to it, with a swinging, bluesy groove anchored by a great melody. I love the strings on this and the snapping bass later in the track. This Richard Evans original was on the Another Exposure album.


David Federnan said...

Who is Richard Evans? I love his arrangements for the Soulful Strings' and Kenny Burrell's Christmas albums, but I know nothing about him.

The Stepfather of Soul said...


Go to the "Funky 16 Corners" blog linked on this page and then follow it to go to Larry Grogan's "Funky 16 Corners" page. He has a great article about Richard Evans there.