Friday, November 18, 2005

Sweet Chicago Soul

Walter Jackson - It's an Uphill Climb to the Bottom



I didn't intend to do two posts today, but while having lunch at Jocks & Jills a few moments ago this song came on (I don't know why, but the Jocks & Jills restaurant/sports bar on 10th and Peachtree always has old soul/disco/funk playing when I'm in there having lunch). Unfortunately I was sitting next to a guy who kept wanting to talk college football while the song was playing, so I knew I had to come back to the office and listen to it, and then to post it here.

Walter Jackson fancied himself a pop balladeer rather than an R&B singer, and producer Carl Davis wisely let Jackson, within limitations, indulge that approach. The wonderful result was that Walter Jackson's '60s OKeh sides are lush, sophisticated works with lots of emotion, warmth and soul. The latter of those qualities were best shown in this selection, which was Jackson's biggest hit of the '60s. This ballad of love lost and hope for new love is a continual favorite of mine, and I'm glad I heard it over lunch today.

No comments: