Friday, July 14, 2006

Chop It Up, Baby!

Candy Phillips - Timber (Pts. 1 & 2)

Today's selection is part of the wonderful catalogue of R&B, soul and funk created by New Orleans legend Eddie Bo. I recommend that you get on over to the Soul Generation Eddie Bo discography to read about mountain of records Bo recorded on himself and others for a myriad of labels. The pseudonymously-credited "Timber" found "I Like It Like That" and "Land of 1000 Dances" legend Chris Kenner lending some besotted-sounding vocals (just listen to the delivery of the very first line, "spreading 'round the world like a wild disease") to a jerky New Orleans groove with Bo putting some "Chain Gang"-style grunts down for support. I really need to get my hands on a copy of the 45 of this, as it's currently my favorite New Orleans soul record!

"Rhythm & Booze" is one day away!

No comments: